Salary dependent on experience
0203 216 2589
about 1 year ago
We are looking for a talented, motivated and experienced programmer to work on a new, unannounced project. In the role of Combat Engineer you will collaborate with design, other software engineers, art and animation teams to create varied and compelling real-time combat.
You have previous experience in a commercially shipped title with responsibility for player character and NPC combat and control systems. You have successfully created enemy behaviours (AI), and worked with state machines and animation systems to implement hand to hand, weapon based and ranged combat as well as player and AI world traversal.
You understand how to collaborate with other disciplines to reach the goal of creating a rewarding combat system that allows designers to create exhilarating encounters. The system will be built up from overlapping sets of rules, actions and abilities so that dimensions of enemy behaviour and character actions emerge in response to player decisions and actions.
You will also ideally have worked with Unreal.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- The ability to collaborate with other disciplines to create interesting, exciting and varied combat experiences
- Someone who actively seeks feedback to improve their work while also providing guidance and feedback to your peers
- The ability to iterate and rapidly prototype gameplay, and then implement to quality
- An expert in C++. You have worked with C++ for 5+ years, and contributed to shipped games on PC, console or mobile.
- Someone who can talk about their work. You are as comfortable specifying a task with designers and collaborating on a shared codebase with engineers as you are taking feedback from directors and producers.
- A practical approach - sometimes a rapid prototype is needed to quickly test an idea. Other times a mission-critical system needs detailed planning and consultation. You have an instinct for what level of engineering is needed, and you can work efficiently at any level.
- A passion for Games – you have probably been playing games forever. You understand an engaging player combat experience and are confident reproducing it in code.
WE'D BE ESPECIALLY IMPRESSED BY:
- A wide range of experience. Knowledge of multiple game systems and their potential advantages and pitfalls. Experience with at least one game engine and associated tools.
- Experience shipping games on console or PC. Detailed knowledge of SDK and technical requirements of Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One or high-end Windows PC.
- Knowledge of animation systems. Using blend trees, state machines and procedural systems to create exciting and flowing combat with emergent behaviour that adds to the believability and challenge to the player.