My client is currently in the process of making new and exciting changes to the way they present data.
To ensure that these changes demonstrate best practice and implement strategic vision they need to hire an experienced Data Journalist who will be responsible for creating editorial content from statistical outputs aimed at the inquiring users.
You will work with a range of researchers from across government, data scientist, academia, business and research organisations, as well as partners including the UK Data Service to help create data driven content for users. In turn you will help raise the profile of the secure use of research data through engaging visual content.
As the Senior Data Journalist you will be one of two leads responsible for the editorial element of the Digital Content team. You will work collaboratively with business areas to create high quality editorial content from statistical outputs that develop stories and data visualisations that help users to connect with data.
knowledge or practical experience using data tools such as Excel, Fusion Tables or R to find stories in the data
knowledge or practical experience in using data tools to ensure the integrity and value in the data being used
Skills & requirements
- Degree in journalism or a related subjects or relevant publishing qualification and/or equivalent practical experience in data-driven journalism
- Practical experience of working in digital publishing, writing content for multiple channels, to challenging deadlines
- Confidence working with (and interpreting) statistics, including an awareness of techniques for adapting the presentation of statistical concepts to different audiences.
- Practical experience of working to an appropriate editorial tone when dealing with sensitive, topical or politically-sensitive material.
- Practical expertise in delivering error-free work, with an eye for detail and experience of proof-reading
- Practical experience of working with a wide range of clients from commissioning through to delivery, using appropriate techniques (e.g. Agile)
- Practical experience of successful line management, be comfortable in a mentoring/coaching role, and leading by example
- An awareness of the ‘digital landscape’, including how ONS’ digital agenda fits within the broader context of digital government
- Must be able to travel to meet the demands of being part of a cross-site service between Hampshire/South Wales
For more information contact Oti Ikomi on 02032162574